Chapter 3: Grihoo
This adventure is designed for three to seven 2nd- to 4th-level characters and is optimized for five characters with an average party level (APL) of 3. Characters outside this level range cannot participate in this adventure. The adventure takes place on the island of The Skeleton Key, first featured in the adventure The Flight of the Predator and then in the follow-up adventure bearing its name. However, it can easily be placed on any remote island in a campaign setting of your choice.
The Skeleton Key, a mysterious island hidden at the center of the Ocean of Warna, has just been rediscovered. The island is home to a tribe of warrior women named the Serpent Whisperers. They guard an ancient temple called the Temple of Grihoo. While they have sworn to protect the temple's secrets, none of the Whisperers actually know what lies within its lower levels. The characters, having crash-landed on the island, find themselves at the mercy of these warrior women. In order to learn more about the island's secrets and/or find a way to escape the island, they will need to gain their trust.
How to Get The Files
The adventure itself is 100% free as are many of its assets. Scroll to the bottom of the page and download the files. There are 7 zip files in all.
In addition to the free content provided by Team Superhydra, many of Team Superhydra's members offer optional content that can be added to enhance the game. These optional assets are available with the respective creator's Patreon subscription as detailed below.
Haven't Read Chapter 1 or Chapter 2, Yet?
Use the links here to get access to Chapter 1 and Chapter 2. Both are FREE! And don't worry—you can even play Chapter 3 without having played/run the previous two chapters.
The FREE rewards included in this adventure include:
- Titan's Heir Ch. 3: Grihoo - A 43-page adventure created by DMDave.
- Temple of Grihoo Map Assets - A 5-level map with over 40 locations for your characters to explore by Jog Brogzin.
- Lair of the Super Hydra Battlemaps - A colossal 50 x 50 VTT-friendly battlemap used in the final event of the Titan's Heir adventure created by Cze & Peku.
- Monsters of Grihoo - A variety of new monsters to toss at your characters, all of which appear in the Grihoo adventure module and its supplements by It'sADnDMonsterNow.
- Grihoo Miniatures and VTT Pogs - Expertly-designed monsters to add to your collection both for play in this adventure and others by Paper Forge.
- Magic Items of Grihoo. Half a dozen new magic items featured in the Grihoo adventure created by The Griffon's Saddlebag.
- Grihoo Soundtrack - Three new tracks to elevate your game by Music d20.
All of the FREE files are included at the bottom of this post in separate files (it's too much stuff to add together into one zip!). Just scroll down and grab the files.
They are listed just before the Comments section.
Note: Some mobile phone users may have trouble downloading ZIP files onto their phones. For optimal quality, use a Desktop to download the free files.
The following optional game assets come as part of DMDave's Patreon subscriptions.
DMDave's $1 Rewards Bonus Enhancements come with two additional books:
- Island Exploration - A 15-page guide to exploring The Skeleton Key. This includes new side-quests and sub-plots, plus rules on escaping the island. Also, there is an updated map of The Skeleton Key by Cze & Peku.
- Grihoo Village - A 20-page guide to the Serpent Whisperers' Grihoo Village. Also, it includes details with playing Serpent Whisperer characters including a new Fighter Martial Archetype subclass and a new background. Finally, it includes a map of the village itself by Tom Cartos.
- DMDave's Adventure Subscription. DMDave creates 2-3 adventures per week. That includes longer adventures like this, side quests, one-off encounters, and more. You get all those adventures with the $1 Trinket Tier.
Get the $1 Rewards for Grihoo.
(Automatically downloads if you're a DMDave patron, but if you're not already one, sign up now.)
DMDave's $3 Rewards Bonus Enhancements come with three new resources:
- Man & Boy Subplot. If you're familiar with DMDave's Hand of the Eight campaign series, then you'll likely know how important Boy is to the plot. This Titan's Heir sub-plot acts as a prequel to Hand of the Eight Part 7.
- Orner's Revenge Subplot. Orner Wreros was the villain of the first chapter of Titan's Heir. The gnome genius has since had time to lick his wounds and he's back to get vengeance on those pesky characters. The sub-plot also comes with two new variations on Orner's stat block designed by DMDave and IADnDMN.
- Variant Endings. Depending on how strong (or weak) the characters are going into the final, showdown, these two variants can help balance your game.
- All of DMDave's $3 Rewards. Enhance your games with new monsters, adventures, and more—over 250 PDFs available for instant download!
Get the $3 Rewards for the Grihoo adventure module.
(Automatically downloads if you're a patron, but if you're not already one, sign up now.)
The following optional assets come as part of Jog Brogzin's Patreon subscriptions.
Jog Brogzin's Bonus Enhancements come with two new resources:
- VTT top-down maps of each level. Run the Temple of Grihoo on your favorite Virtual Table Top platform with a collection of 5 hand-drawn maps.
- Isometric Maps. Want to see how all of the maps fit together in 3D? Jog's rewards include awesome isometric maps for you to download.
- Physical Postcard ($10 Tier). For patrons at the $10 tier on Jog's Patreon also get a postcard of the maps sent straight from Jog himself.
PLUS all of the benefits of being a Jog Brogzin patron, including maps, requests, postcards, and more!
Become a Jog Brogzin Patron and get all these bonus rewards.
Cze & Peku's Bonus Enhancements come with up to 16 new maps:
Patrons of ours can already find all of the Ancient Hydra Lair maps here!
In addition to the Ancient Hydra lair maps variants, you'll get hundreds of breathtaking digital maps lovingly crafted by the dynamic duo Cze and Peku.
Become a Cze & Peku Patron now to get all of their bonus maps
Get hundreds of paper miniatures from Paper Forge Miniatures:
- Paper Forge's Patreon page includes monsters that appear in this adventure including the young red dragon, griffons, half-red-dragon veterans, the medusa, and giant snakes (to use in the end fight).
- Paper Forge creates both print-and-play and VTT-friendly miniatures.
- Printable miniatures come with black or open backgrounds.
- VTT-friendly miniatures have pog versions, too.
- Higher tiers get access to color variations.
Become a Paper Forge patron to get access to all these awesome miniatures.
Get two bonus tracks from Music D20:
- "Danaavrakt Cloning Lab"
- "Substratum (Infiltration)"
PLUS get dozens of more songs from Music d20 to enhance your Fifth Edition games. The songs can even be uploaded into your favorite virtual table-top tool.
Become a Music d20 Patron and download his music now.
Need 400+ more magic items in your Fifth Edition games?
The Griffon's Saddlebag creates daily homebrew items for your campaign that are illustrated, written, and balanced to look and feel like official content. Patrons receive instant access to the over 400 existing items already made, as well as their art, cards, compendium entries, tables, and more.
Become a patron today!
Need more monsters? Don't worry—Kyle's got monsters!
ItsADnDMonsterNow creates unique combat encounters for their patrons and is a staple in the D&D homebrew community. Patrons receive exclusive monsters and access to the growing IADnDMN compendium!
Support IADnDMN today!
The adventure gets better with you!
This collaboration was a freely made project between DMDave, Cze & Peku, Paper Forge, It's A DnD Monster Now, Music d20, Jog Brogzin, and The Griffon's Saddlebag. If you haven't already, consider becoming a patron today to help support the passion and effort that goes into this work. Quality D&D content gets better when it's supported by people like you!
—Dave, Cze & Peku, Wilson & Grond, Kyle, Will, Brian, and Griffin